Happy Mother's Day

When I was growing up there was one person that meant more to me then anyone else, that was my grandma Bonnie. She loved me (and her other grandchildren) fiercely. Her love was without condition. She took wonderful care of us, we were often sent to her house when we were sick. We longed to be around her, she simply was, the best.

At one point, as an adult, I moved to Salem (where she lived) and got the opportunity to spend a few days a week with her. We would just hang out and talk, fold laundry together. There was never a person that felt more like home to me.

We lost my grandma to pancreatic cancer several years back. It was such a devastating loss to lose someone so wonderful and close to me. The one thing that got me through all that pain was that I felt truly blessed to have had the time I did have with her.

As I began to have children of my own my grandmothers death really started to hit me all over again. It was so sad to me to never get to have her to experience that exciting time in my life of being pregnant and then to not have her get to meet my children, or have them grow up knowing her. It just didn't seem right.

Along the way of processing this sadness a funny thing happened.

I realized that my children might not get to know MY wonderful grandmother, but they get to have their own amazing grandparents.

When I first met John's mom I was shaken at how much she reminded me of my grandma Bonnie. I immediately felt how special she is and she made me feel closer to the grandma I had lost.

I love watching Barbie with Ava and Norah. She has such a connection with them. She gets down and plays with them, reads to them and teaches them to cook. Her gentle attentive way reminds me so much of how my grandma was with me.

However, the best part, for me, has been watching the role my own mother has taken for my children. She loves them fiercely, just like I do. She wants to be with them all the time and know about all the little day to day things that are going on with them. She is so generous with her time & funds, always here for our girls. Her love for them makes me love her that much more. It is powerful & wonderful, and just so nice to see that my girls get to have what I had.







My girls not only have 2 grandma's, but 3, Angi, my step mother, adores them too.
How awesome is that???
They my not get to have MY grandma but they get to have the best grandma's in the world none the less. Nothing could make me happier.

~Happy Mother's Day~

Comments

guzzi guy said…
Thank you for that. I enjoyed a tearful reading of this entry. I mean this in the most loving way.
Rhi said…
Did you really need to make me cry at 8AM on a Sunday?????? This is a beautifully written entry, and it makes me think of how special my relationships with both of my grandmas have been through my life as well :)
ok, I'm not one to tear up but even that got me. I lost my Grandma on my Dad's side when I was 18 and my Grandma on my Mom's side when I was 20 to cancer. I miss both of my Grandmas so much, but I am grateful that my kids (when we have them) will have 2 wonderful grandmas to love them and share that same kind of relationship.
Rachel said…
I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandma. :( That's wonderful that your girls have such loving grandmas though too!

Popular posts from this blog

New Pool!

Birthday Fun

Little girls, big personalities...